Biggest-ever secret LTTE arms dump busted
Colombo: Two years after the decisive battle in which the Tamil Tigers were vanquished, Sri Lankan security forces made their biggest-ever haul recovering 6,250 kgs of hidden LTTE explosives.
The arms cache was busted in a joint search operation of Army and police in the former LTTE bastions of Mullaithivu and Kilinochchi districts on Sunday.
The joint operation of the Army and police busted a big hidden arms dump at Iranamadu and Nanthikadal in the Kilinochchi district, where 6,250 kilos of C-4 explosives were found, police said.
The sandy Nanthikadal lagoon, was the site where the Tamil Tigers commanded by their supreme leader Velupillai Prabhakaran made their last stand.
Superintendent Ajith Rohana, the police spokesman said, "This is the largest ever quantity of explosives uncovered."
He said the explosives were contained in 200 bags and hidden in a bunker used by the LTTE during their days of the military campaign.
Rohana said in the adjoining Mullaithivu district another 300 kgs of C-4 were uncovered in the Puthukudyiruppu area along with other weaponry.
Kilinochchi and Mullaithivu served as the LTTE’s administrative and military capitals respectively during their three-decade old campaign to carve out a separate Tamil homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly