Biggest-ever secret LTTE arms dump busted
Colombo: Two years after the decisive battle in which the Tamil Tigers were vanquished, Sri Lankan security forces made their biggest-ever haul recovering 6,250 kgs of hidden LTTE explosives.
The arms cache was busted in a joint search operation of Army and police in the former LTTE bastions of Mullaithivu and Kilinochchi districts on Sunday.
The joint operation of the Army and police busted a big hidden arms dump at Iranamadu and Nanthikadal in the Kilinochchi district, where 6,250 kilos of C-4 explosives were found, police said.
The sandy Nanthikadal lagoon, was the site where the Tamil Tigers commanded by their supreme leader Velupillai Prabhakaran made their last stand.
Superintendent Ajith Rohana, the police spokesman said, "This is the largest ever quantity of explosives uncovered."
He said the explosives were contained in 200 bags and hidden in a bunker used by the LTTE during their days of the military campaign.
Rohana said in the adjoining Mullaithivu district another 300 kgs of C-4 were uncovered in the Puthukudyiruppu area along with other weaponry.
Kilinochchi and Mullaithivu served as the LTTE’s administrative and military capitals respectively during their three-decade old campaign to carve out a separate Tamil homeland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state