Bomb safely detonated near a minister`s house in Swat valley
Peshawar: Pakistani authorities on Tuesday
safely detonated a powerful bomb planted near the home of a
provincial minister in the restive Swat valley in the
country’s northwest, officials said.
Personnel of the bomb disposal squad detonated the
seven-kilogramme explosive device that was planted in a
tube-well adjacent to the residence of provincial Minister
Ayub Khan Asharai in Matta sub-division of Swat district.
Asharai is a senior leader of the Awami National
Party that rules the North West Frontier Province.
The Matta region was a stronghold of the Pakistani
Taliban till the army cleared the area of militants during an
operation last year.
The Taliban have often targeted leaders and workers
of the ANP. Officials said the timely action by the bomb
disposal squad had averted a major catastrophe.
On receiving information about the bomb, police and
experts of the bomb disposal squad rushed to the site and
detonated the device that was hidden in a water cooler and
planted beside the tube-well.
A large police contingent cordoned off the area
before the bomb disposal squad triggered a controlled
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi