Bomb safely detonated near a minister`s house in Swat valley
Peshawar: Pakistani authorities on Tuesday
safely detonated a powerful bomb planted near the home of a
provincial minister in the restive Swat valley in the
country’s northwest, officials said.
Personnel of the bomb disposal squad detonated the
seven-kilogramme explosive device that was planted in a
tube-well adjacent to the residence of provincial Minister
Ayub Khan Asharai in Matta sub-division of Swat district.
Asharai is a senior leader of the Awami National
Party that rules the North West Frontier Province.
The Matta region was a stronghold of the Pakistani
Taliban till the army cleared the area of militants during an
operation last year.
The Taliban have often targeted leaders and workers
of the ANP. Officials said the timely action by the bomb
disposal squad had averted a major catastrophe.
On receiving information about the bomb, police and
experts of the bomb disposal squad rushed to the site and
detonated the device that was hidden in a water cooler and
planted beside the tube-well.
A large police contingent cordoned off the area
before the bomb disposal squad triggered a controlled
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!