British drone kills four Afghan civilians
Kabul: A British Royal Air Force drone killed four Afghan civilians and injured two more during an attack on a Taliban commander, the Ministry of Defence confirmed on Wednesday.
The defence department verified a report in Britain`s Guardian newspaper which revealed that four civilians died when a Reaper drone being controlled from a US Air Force base in Nevada attacked a truck carrying a known commander.
"On 25 March, a UK Reaper was tasked to engage and destroy two pickup trucks," the Defence Ministry said on Wednesday.
"Sadly, four Afghan civilians were also killed and a further two Afghan civilians were injured," added the ministry "with deep regret".
Two insurgents were also killed in the attack.
It is the first time a British Reaper drone has been responsible for civilian deaths since the RAF began using the pilotless aircraft over the war-torn nation in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video