British drone kills four Afghan civilians
Kabul: A British Royal Air Force drone killed four Afghan civilians and injured two more during an attack on a Taliban commander, the Ministry of Defence confirmed on Wednesday.
The defence department verified a report in Britain`s Guardian newspaper which revealed that four civilians died when a Reaper drone being controlled from a US Air Force base in Nevada attacked a truck carrying a known commander.
"On 25 March, a UK Reaper was tasked to engage and destroy two pickup trucks," the Defence Ministry said on Wednesday.
"Sadly, four Afghan civilians were also killed and a further two Afghan civilians were injured," added the ministry "with deep regret".
Two insurgents were also killed in the attack.
It is the first time a British Reaper drone has been responsible for civilian deaths since the RAF began using the pilotless aircraft over the war-torn nation in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, final: Five reasons why SunRisers Hyderabad will be no match for Virat Kohli and co
- Sharing stage with Madhuri Dixit, 'a moment to cherish forever' for Lisa Haydon!
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic