British Foreign Secy in landmark Afghanistan visit
London: Britain`s Foreign Secretary William Hague and two senior colleagues arrived in Afghanistan on Saturday for their first visit since a new coalition government took power in London this month.
Hague plus Defence Secretary Liam Fox and International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell are to meet President Hamid Karzai as well as ministers and officials, the Foreign Office said.
Hague said that getting to grips with the situation in Afghanistan was "our most urgent priority" in comments released from London as the party touched down.
"It will consume a lot of our time, energy and effort and it is therefore vital that ministers have a strong understanding of the issues," Hague said.
"We need to give the strategy time and support to succeed, and we are here in Afghanistan to explore this at the earliest opportunity".
Meanwhile, Fox told the Times newspaper that he wanted British forces to come home from Afghanistan "as soon as possible".
"We need to accept we are at the limit of numbers now and I would like the forces to come back as soon as possible," he said.
"We are not a global policeman... we are there so the people of Britain and our global interests are not threatened".
Britain has around 10,000 troops in Afghanistan. There have been a total of 286 British casualties since international forces entered Afghanistan in 2001.
Karzai met David Cameron, Britain`s new prime minister, last Saturday. This was Cameron`s first meeting with a foreign leader as premier, underlining the importance his new administration is placing on Afghanistan.
Britain`s new Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government, which only took power last week, has pledged to support the country`s armed forces in Afghanistan.
It has also pledged to "safeguard the UK`s national security", which officials say is closely linked to the situation in Afghanistan.
But with Britain facing a public spending squeeze, Cameron`s government wants to cut costs in the Ministry of Defence by at least 25 percent, although has pledged to do more to support the armed forces.
The visiting ministers are also expected to meet British service personnel, while Mitchell said he would be "looking at ways to improve the quality and impact of our aid" to Afghanistan.
"There are few countries where the combination of our moral commitment to development and safeguarding our national interest is so enmeshed," he said.
"Building the capacity of the state to guarantee security and stability, deliver development and reduce poverty is central to defeating violent extremism and protecting British streets."
Fox also said he wanted to look at whether it would be possible to "accelerate" the training of Afghan forces "without diminishing the quality".
In addition to their visit, England footballer David Beckham was expected in Helmand in southern Afghanistan, the British military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered