Chinese officials being tormented by extortionists in Pakistan
Karachi: A Chinese delegation has demanded adequate security against the extortion mafia to be able to conduct a seismic survey at Badin city in Sindh province.
Country Manager SINOPEC (Henan Petroleum Bureau Pakistan Branch) Wang Jindang put forward this demand during his meeting with Sindh Chief Secretary Raja Muhammad Abbas. The firm arrived after instructions from China`s top leadership to assist Pakistan in locating hydrocarbon deposits to help overcome the country`s ongoing energy crisis.
In this connection, the firm was awarded a contract by Pakistan Petroleum Ltd (PPL) to carry out a seismic survey in Badin, reports The News. The meeting was informed that the firm set up its base camp in Badin, and started recording data on April 8, 2012. However, the delegation said they were facing severe problems that intensely slowed down the pace of the project and caused colossal financial losses.
The delegation said that costly equipment, mainly cables and geophones, were being damaged in large quantities. It was stated that the equipment was specialised, sophisticated, expensive, and not available in Pakistan. The Chinese firm said even though they were paying compensation to the affected people for the damage to lands and crops, some locals are also using extortion and blackmailing tactics, and not letting them work.
The chief secretary directed the authorities concerned to ensure safety and security measures. He also asked the DC and SSP Badin to deploy senior officers to address the concerns of the foreign firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India