Chinese officials being tormented by extortionists in Pakistan
Karachi: A Chinese delegation has demanded adequate security against the extortion mafia to be able to conduct a seismic survey at Badin city in Sindh province.
Country Manager SINOPEC (Henan Petroleum Bureau Pakistan Branch) Wang Jindang put forward this demand during his meeting with Sindh Chief Secretary Raja Muhammad Abbas. The firm arrived after instructions from China`s top leadership to assist Pakistan in locating hydrocarbon deposits to help overcome the country`s ongoing energy crisis.
In this connection, the firm was awarded a contract by Pakistan Petroleum Ltd (PPL) to carry out a seismic survey in Badin, reports The News. The meeting was informed that the firm set up its base camp in Badin, and started recording data on April 8, 2012. However, the delegation said they were facing severe problems that intensely slowed down the pace of the project and caused colossal financial losses.
The delegation said that costly equipment, mainly cables and geophones, were being damaged in large quantities. It was stated that the equipment was specialised, sophisticated, expensive, and not available in Pakistan. The Chinese firm said even though they were paying compensation to the affected people for the damage to lands and crops, some locals are also using extortion and blackmailing tactics, and not letting them work.
The chief secretary directed the authorities concerned to ensure safety and security measures. He also asked the DC and SSP Badin to deploy senior officers to address the concerns of the foreign firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report