Ex Pak PM Gilani’s son gets bail in Ephedrine case
Islamabad: Ali Musa Gilani, the son of ex-Pakistani prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, was granted interim bail by the supreme court Friday shortly after his arrest in a drug scam.
He was arrested outside the apex court while he was on his way to attend the hearing of his case involving the illegal sale of the drug ephedrine in 2010.
Musa Gilani is accused of pressurizing the health ministry in 2010 to allocate ephedrine quotas to two pharmaceutical companies. The court was hearing the case Friday.
A three-member bench headed by Justice Nasir ul Mulk took serious view of the arrest and ordered that he be presented in the court within half an hour, Geo TV reported.
He was later produced before the court, which granted him interim bail on surety of Rs.500,000.
His lawyers told the court that a notice was already served to him and his arrest was tantamount to contempt of court.
Musa Gilani had moved the supreme court Thursday to seek interim relief against a Lahore High Court order in the Ephedrine case.
The Lahore court had denied him a pre-arrest bail Sep 3.
Requesting the apex court for interim relief, his lawyer said there was no evidence against his client in the case but his arrest has been sought for political reasons.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case