Ex-US Prez Carter extends help for Nepal elections
Kathmandu: Former US President Jimmy Carter has offered the services of his organisation to Nepal during the upcoming Constituent Assembly elections and mooted the possibility of sending observers for the polls.
The proposal comes just days after the country`s newly-appointed electoral chief called upon the government to fix a `realistic` date for the polls to be held before June 21.
Carter made the suggestion during his meeting with Chairman of Nepal`s interim election government Khil Raj Regmi yesterday.
On his part, Regmi said the government will take positively the interest shown by the Atlanta-based Carter Center in taking part in the election process.
On March 26, the Chief Election Commissioner Nilkantha Uprety had expressed his reservations about the June election date saying: "With only 70-75 days at our hands, we are not in an easy situation."
Before leaving for Myanmar tomorrow, the former US President is expected to present his analysis of Nepal`s prevailing political situation.
He will offer his "perspectives on Nepal’s current political situation and the progress towards elections," the Himalayan Times reported.
During his three-day visit to the Himalayan nation, he was briefed about preparations for upcoming elections, challenges facing the government and efforts to hold dialogue with disgruntled fringe parties.
From Kathmandu, Carter will proceed towards Myanmar, where he will "explore ways to support the country`s ongoing democratic transition and meet with government, political leaders and civil society representatives," a statement released by the Carter Center said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?