Ex-US Prez Carter extends help for Nepal elections
Kathmandu: Former US President Jimmy Carter has offered the services of his organisation to Nepal during the upcoming Constituent Assembly elections and mooted the possibility of sending observers for the polls.
The proposal comes just days after the country`s newly-appointed electoral chief called upon the government to fix a `realistic` date for the polls to be held before June 21.
Carter made the suggestion during his meeting with Chairman of Nepal`s interim election government Khil Raj Regmi yesterday.
On his part, Regmi said the government will take positively the interest shown by the Atlanta-based Carter Center in taking part in the election process.
On March 26, the Chief Election Commissioner Nilkantha Uprety had expressed his reservations about the June election date saying: "With only 70-75 days at our hands, we are not in an easy situation."
Before leaving for Myanmar tomorrow, the former US President is expected to present his analysis of Nepal`s prevailing political situation.
He will offer his "perspectives on Nepal’s current political situation and the progress towards elections," the Himalayan Times reported.
During his three-day visit to the Himalayan nation, he was briefed about preparations for upcoming elections, challenges facing the government and efforts to hold dialogue with disgruntled fringe parties.
From Kathmandu, Carter will proceed towards Myanmar, where he will "explore ways to support the country`s ongoing democratic transition and meet with government, political leaders and civil society representatives," a statement released by the Carter Center said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!