Hafiz Saeed raises pitch against MFN status to India
Lahore: The Defa-e-Pakistan Council formed by JuD chief Hafiz Saeed on Sunday launched a "movement" to oppose the move to grant Most Favoured Nation-status to India.
"On the pattern of a campaign against the reopening of NATO supply routes, today we announce the launching of a movement against giving India the status of Most Favoured Nation," Saeed said addressing thousands of people who joined a "peace march" to the Wagah land border with India.
Besides opposing the move to give India MFN-status, the event marked the fall of Dhaka in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.
During his address, gathered members shouted slogans in support of jihad.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including JuD, Jamaat-e-Islami and Jamiat Ulema-e- Islam-S, that was formed by Saeed after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed in a cross-border NATO air strike last year.
Saeed, for whom the US offered a USD 10-million bounty earlier this year, said his group will not allow Pakistan to become an "Indian colony" and also claimed India had opened "training camps" in Afghanistan.
Former ISI chief Hamid Gul, Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam leader Samiul Haq and JuD leader Amir Hamza also addressed the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video