Hafiz Saeed raises pitch against MFN status to India
Lahore: The Defa-e-Pakistan Council formed by JuD chief Hafiz Saeed on Sunday launched a "movement" to oppose the move to grant Most Favoured Nation-status to India.
"On the pattern of a campaign against the reopening of NATO supply routes, today we announce the launching of a movement against giving India the status of Most Favoured Nation," Saeed said addressing thousands of people who joined a "peace march" to the Wagah land border with India.
Besides opposing the move to give India MFN-status, the event marked the fall of Dhaka in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.
During his address, gathered members shouted slogans in support of jihad.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including JuD, Jamaat-e-Islami and Jamiat Ulema-e- Islam-S, that was formed by Saeed after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed in a cross-border NATO air strike last year.
Saeed, for whom the US offered a USD 10-million bounty earlier this year, said his group will not allow Pakistan to become an "Indian colony" and also claimed India had opened "training camps" in Afghanistan.
Former ISI chief Hamid Gul, Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam leader Samiul Haq and JuD leader Amir Hamza also addressed the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray