Hafiz Saeed raises pitch against MFN status to India
Lahore: The Defa-e-Pakistan Council formed by JuD chief Hafiz Saeed on Sunday launched a "movement" to oppose the move to grant Most Favoured Nation-status to India.
"On the pattern of a campaign against the reopening of NATO supply routes, today we announce the launching of a movement against giving India the status of Most Favoured Nation," Saeed said addressing thousands of people who joined a "peace march" to the Wagah land border with India.
Besides opposing the move to give India MFN-status, the event marked the fall of Dhaka in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.
During his address, gathered members shouted slogans in support of jihad.
The DPC is an alliance of over 40 religious and extremist groups, including JuD, Jamaat-e-Islami and Jamiat Ulema-e- Islam-S, that was formed by Saeed after 24 Pakistani soldiers were killed in a cross-border NATO air strike last year.
Saeed, for whom the US offered a USD 10-million bounty earlier this year, said his group will not allow Pakistan to become an "Indian colony" and also claimed India had opened "training camps" in Afghanistan.
Former ISI chief Hamid Gul, Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam leader Samiul Haq and JuD leader Amir Hamza also addressed the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015