Iran to Decide Fate of Three US Nationals
Tehran: Iran is due to issue the verdict over the case of three American nationals, who were recently detained on spying charges after crossing Iran-Iraq borders illegally, an Iranian judiciary official announced.
"The final verdict on the three American defendants will be announced soon," Iran`s Prosecutor-General and judiciary spokesman Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejeii told reporters here on Monday.
On asked, whether there is a possibility of pardoning the three during the Muslims` fasting month of Ramadan, Mohseni Ejeii said he hadn’t heard yet of such rumours.
Shane Bauer, Joshua Fattal and Sarah Shourd were arrested in July 2009 after illegally crossing the border into Iran from the mountains of northern Iraq`s Kurdistan region.
Later they were charged with espionage after Tehran prosecutor`s office announced that it possessed "compelling evidence" indicating that the three Americans were cooperating with US intelligence agencies.
Iran released Shourd on a bail of USD 500,000 in September 2010, 14 months after her arrest. The decision was taken due to the detainee`s health condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday