Kerry to meet Karzai, Pak military head: Source
Brussels: US Secretary of State John Kerry will hold a meeting Wednesday with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the head of Pakistan`s armed forces, Ashfaq Kayani, a US diplomatic source said.
Kerry, in Brussels for a gathering of NATO foreign ministers on Tuesday, "has offered to host a meeting with Afghan and Pakistani officials", the source said.
Along with Karzai and Kayani will be Afghan Defence Minister Bishmullah Mohammadi and Pakistan Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani, the source added.
The meeting, which was not originally on Kerry`s agenda, is part of a series between the three parties, the source said, with neighbouring Pakistan a key player as NATO forces prepare to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2014.
Afghanistan is high on the agenda for Tuesday`s NATO meeting, Kerry`s first as US secretary of state, as the alliance prepares to hand over security duties to the Afghan national army.
Relations between Islamabad and Kabul have been strained for many years, with Karzai charging Pakistan with aiding and abetting the Taliban rebels who seek refuge along their rugged border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information