Landslides, flash floods kill 9 in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Flash floods and landslides have killed at least nine people and left thousands homeless in Sri Lanka, disaster management officials said today.
Sarath Lal Kumara, a senior Disaster Management Centre (DMC) official said that all 9 deaths have been reported from the central district of Matale.
Three of them died when a tree collapsed on a van. The rest were buried in landslides. He said over 4,000 displaced people have been accommodated in 17 relief camps.
Most reservoirs in the north central and central province have reached spill level forcing the opening of sluice gates, officials said.
Several districts in the central hill province have been declared as landslide danger zones. Public transport including trains services remain disrupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter