Landslides, flash floods kill 9 in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Flash floods and landslides have killed at least nine people and left thousands homeless in Sri Lanka, disaster management officials said today.
Sarath Lal Kumara, a senior Disaster Management Centre (DMC) official said that all 9 deaths have been reported from the central district of Matale.
Three of them died when a tree collapsed on a van. The rest were buried in landslides. He said over 4,000 displaced people have been accommodated in 17 relief camps.
Most reservoirs in the north central and central province have reached spill level forcing the opening of sluice gates, officials said.
Several districts in the central hill province have been declared as landslide danger zones. Public transport including trains services remain disrupted.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane