Landslides, flash floods kill 9 in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Flash floods and landslides have killed at least nine people and left thousands homeless in Sri Lanka, disaster management officials said today.
Sarath Lal Kumara, a senior Disaster Management Centre (DMC) official said that all 9 deaths have been reported from the central district of Matale.
Three of them died when a tree collapsed on a van. The rest were buried in landslides. He said over 4,000 displaced people have been accommodated in 17 relief camps.
Most reservoirs in the north central and central province have reached spill level forcing the opening of sluice gates, officials said.
Several districts in the central hill province have been declared as landslide danger zones. Public transport including trains services remain disrupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy