Landslides, flash floods kill 9 in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Flash floods and landslides have killed at least nine people and left thousands homeless in Sri Lanka, disaster management officials said today.
Sarath Lal Kumara, a senior Disaster Management Centre (DMC) official said that all 9 deaths have been reported from the central district of Matale.
Three of them died when a tree collapsed on a van. The rest were buried in landslides. He said over 4,000 displaced people have been accommodated in 17 relief camps.
Most reservoirs in the north central and central province have reached spill level forcing the opening of sluice gates, officials said.
Several districts in the central hill province have been declared as landslide danger zones. Public transport including trains services remain disrupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state