Landslides, flash floods kill 9 in Sri Lanka
Colombo: Flash floods and landslides have killed at least nine people and left thousands homeless in Sri Lanka, disaster management officials said today.
Sarath Lal Kumara, a senior Disaster Management Centre (DMC) official said that all 9 deaths have been reported from the central district of Matale.
Three of them died when a tree collapsed on a van. The rest were buried in landslides. He said over 4,000 displaced people have been accommodated in 17 relief camps.
Most reservoirs in the north central and central province have reached spill level forcing the opening of sluice gates, officials said.
Several districts in the central hill province have been declared as landslide danger zones. Public transport including trains services remain disrupted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth