Local Taliban plans to target PM and Nawaz: Pak authorities
Lahore: The local Taliban plans to target
35 top political leaders, including Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani and PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, during the campaign for
upcoming by-elections to provincial and national assemblies,
Pakistani authorities said on Friday.
"We have intelligence reports that the Tehrik-e-
Taliban Pakistan plans to launch attacks on political and
religious personalities, including Prime Minister Gilani,
PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz
Sharif, (cricketer-turned politician) Imran Khan and Pakistan
Awami League chief Sheikh Rashid Ahmed," Rana Sanaullah, Law
Minister of Punjab province, told reporters.
Several persons who could be targeted by the
militants, including Imran Khan and Sheikh Rashid Ahmed, are
expected to contest the by-elections to be held on November 7.
The Punjab government has already filed a petition in
the Lahore High Court asking it to defer the bye-polls due to
"We have credible information (about the Taliban`s
plans) and that is why we have moved the court to defer the
bye-elections," Sanaullah said, justifying his government`s
decision to file the petition in the High Court.
He said the provincial government would abide by the
decision given by the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars