Mehsud`s death a victory for safety of region: US
Washington: "Pretty sure" about the death of Pakistani Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, the US on Sunday said his death is a victory for safety and security of the region.
"We are pretty sure (of the death of Baitullah Mehsud) and obviously that is a victory for safety and security in the region," White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton told reporters abroad Air Force One, while travelling with US President Barack Obama to Guadalajara, Mexico.
Terming Mehsud "a murderous thug" he said his elimination was a step forward for the safety of folks in that region and in our country.
Burton said this also shows that Pakistan has made progress in moving to root out and eliminate extremist elements in their country. "We are going to continue to partner with them to keep doing just that."
Earlier, the National Security Advisor, General (Retd) James Jones, in separate interviews to the Fox News and the CBS news, had said he believes that Baitullah Mehsud was dead.
"The Pakistani government has believed - believes that he is, and all evidence that we have suggests that. But there are reports from the Mehsud`s organisation that he`s not. But
we think - we think that it looks like he is (dead)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!