MQM rejects re-polling in Karachi
Karachi: Pakistan`s Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) party on Wednesday rejected the Election Commission`s decision to conduct re-polling at 43 polling stations in the city for a National Assembly seat.
The polling in NA-250 constituency in country`s financial hub Karachi was postponed on the election day due to reports of alleged rigging.
In a televised press conference, MQM leader and senator, Mustafa Kamal, said his party would protest against the ECP`s decision soon after the announcement was made.
"The ECP is to blame for the chaos that took place on election day in NA-250 constituency at some polling stations.
"They are trying to cover up their own failures by announcing re-polling for 43 polling stations which is not acceptable to us," Kamal said.
A tough fight was on the cards for the seat with the MQM fielding their only female candidate Khushbakht Shujaat, while Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI) has Arif Alvi.
At most of the polling stations, polling either started very late or didn`t start at all.
The PTI alleged rigging at some stations, while the Jamaat-e-Islaami, which had fielded a candidate for the NA seat, announced a mid-day boycott of elections in Karachi on the Election Day against what they termed blatant rigging by the MQM.
The ECP announced earlier today that polling at the said stations would be held on Sunday.
Kamal said an investigation should be launched as to why polling could not be started at these polling stations and was delayed for hours.
The MQM leader also questioned why ballot boxes could not reach these stations despite the fact that polling was supervised by the ECP with the Army`s help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price