`Musharraf must face music for subverting Constitution`
Lahore: Pakistan`s former premier Nawaz Sharif has described the action taken by the judiciary against Pervez Musharraf as a "reversal of fortunes", saying the former military ruler must be taken to task for subverting the country`s Constitution.
"Musharraf is reaping what he had sown," Sharif said.
"I have no personal enmity with Musharraf but he must be taken to task for violating the Constitution of Pakistan," the PML-N chief said.
The Islamabad High Court`s order issued yesterday for the arrest of Musharraf over the imposition of emergency rule in 2007 was a "victory for justice", the former premier said.
He said the action taken by the judiciary against Musharraf is a "reversal of fortunes".
The PML-N also claimed credit for the court`s order, saying the party had thwarted all attempts to give indemnity to the former dictator.
"It`s a triumph of justice and a retribution for what the dictator had done during his regime," PML-N president Shahbaz Sharif said.
PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rashid said "Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, and not a luxurious palace" (a reference to Musharraf`s farmhouse in Islamabad) was the right place for an absconder.
"Musharraf was first an accused, became a criminal later and now he has become an absconder," Rashid said, referring to Musharraf’s escape from the Islamabad High Court after the revocation of his bail.
He said Musharraf was now the head of a political party and his previous institution, the army, should have no concern for him.
Musharraf had come to power in 1999 by ousting the PML-N government led by Nawaz Sharif in a bloodless coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet
- December 16 gang-rape convict attempts suicide – Read Nirbhaya parents' response