`Musharraf must face music for subverting Constitution`
Lahore: Pakistan`s former premier Nawaz Sharif has described the action taken by the judiciary against Pervez Musharraf as a "reversal of fortunes", saying the former military ruler must be taken to task for subverting the country`s Constitution.
"Musharraf is reaping what he had sown," Sharif said.
"I have no personal enmity with Musharraf but he must be taken to task for violating the Constitution of Pakistan," the PML-N chief said.
The Islamabad High Court`s order issued yesterday for the arrest of Musharraf over the imposition of emergency rule in 2007 was a "victory for justice", the former premier said.
He said the action taken by the judiciary against Musharraf is a "reversal of fortunes".
The PML-N also claimed credit for the court`s order, saying the party had thwarted all attempts to give indemnity to the former dictator.
"It`s a triumph of justice and a retribution for what the dictator had done during his regime," PML-N president Shahbaz Sharif said.
PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rashid said "Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, and not a luxurious palace" (a reference to Musharraf`s farmhouse in Islamabad) was the right place for an absconder.
"Musharraf was first an accused, became a criminal later and now he has become an absconder," Rashid said, referring to Musharraf’s escape from the Islamabad High Court after the revocation of his bail.
He said Musharraf was now the head of a political party and his previous institution, the army, should have no concern for him.
Musharraf had come to power in 1999 by ousting the PML-N government led by Nawaz Sharif in a bloodless coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire