`Musharraf must face music for subverting Constitution`
Lahore: Pakistan`s former premier Nawaz Sharif has described the action taken by the judiciary against Pervez Musharraf as a "reversal of fortunes", saying the former military ruler must be taken to task for subverting the country`s Constitution.
"Musharraf is reaping what he had sown," Sharif said.
"I have no personal enmity with Musharraf but he must be taken to task for violating the Constitution of Pakistan," the PML-N chief said.
The Islamabad High Court`s order issued yesterday for the arrest of Musharraf over the imposition of emergency rule in 2007 was a "victory for justice", the former premier said.
He said the action taken by the judiciary against Musharraf is a "reversal of fortunes".
The PML-N also claimed credit for the court`s order, saying the party had thwarted all attempts to give indemnity to the former dictator.
"It`s a triumph of justice and a retribution for what the dictator had done during his regime," PML-N president Shahbaz Sharif said.
PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rashid said "Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi, and not a luxurious palace" (a reference to Musharraf`s farmhouse in Islamabad) was the right place for an absconder.
"Musharraf was first an accused, became a criminal later and now he has become an absconder," Rashid said, referring to Musharraf’s escape from the Islamabad High Court after the revocation of his bail.
He said Musharraf was now the head of a political party and his previous institution, the army, should have no concern for him.
Musharraf had come to power in 1999 by ousting the PML-N government led by Nawaz Sharif in a bloodless coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!