Muttahida Qaumi Movement to reorganise
Karachi: Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain has taken a number of decisions to reorganise the party as Imran Khan`s Tehreek-e-Insaaf gained popularity in their Pakistan`s biggest city which is considered their stronghold.
Hussain on Thursday announced the dissolution of the party`s Central Rabita (Coordnation) Committee, a day after he had disbanded the Karachi committee of the party and sacked some leading leaders.
The MQM which represents the Urdu speaking Muhajirs who migrated from undivided India and which has dominated all elections in the city and Hyderabad since the late eighties lost a key seat in NA-250 to the PTI in the May 11 elections.
The PTI has also accused the MQM of rigging to ensure the victory of their candidates on some other National Assembly and Provincial Assembly seats in Karachi.
Altaf also came under the spotlight after some fiery speeches against PTI and its leader, cricketer-turned- politician Imran Khan, who had held him responsible for the killing of a senior PTI female leader in the city.
Political analysts say that many of the traditional MQM supporters and voters were disillusioned with the party during the last five years when it was part of a coalition government by the Pakistan Peoples Party in the centre and Sindh province.
Hussain said that the new Rabita committee would be formed by Saturday after a general party workers meeting.
The move comes in the wake of Hussain`s address to MQM workers on Wednesday during which he said he would purge the party of `corrupt and unwanted` elements and that the cleansing process for that purpose had already begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'
- Applications of Pak, India for NSG membership cannot be considered in isolation: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment