NATO calls Mullah Omar’s Eid statement ‘insane’
Islamabad: The commander of NATO troops in Afghanistan has swiftly denounced an Eid statement issued by the Taliban’s reclusive leader Mullah Omar claiming victories against the military alliance.
The rare statement by the militant group’s one-eyed leader claims victories on the battlefield against NATO and defends as tactical the Taliban`s initial contacts, now suspended, with the United States.
General John Allen, however, slammed the statement as ‘an unmistakable message of death, hate and hopelessness for the Afghan people’ on the eve of Eid-ul-Fitr, the Express Tribune reports.
According to the paper, calling Omar a ‘deranged man’ using ‘insane language’, Allen scoffed at his call on Taliban militants to avoid killing civilians, pointing to the deaths of dozens of civilians in a series of recent suicide and bomb attacks.
“Either Omar is lying, or his henchmen are not listening to him, but it is clear that innocent Afghan civilians are paying the price for his corrupt leadership,” the paper quoted Allen, as saying.
Omar, in his seven-page statement, said that initial talks with the US “had not meant submission or abandoning our goals”.
Instead they had been aimed at initiating an exchange of prisoners, opening a political office and to “reach our goals”, he said, noting that the Taliban had suspended the talks earlier this year.
He called the “so-called transition”, under which NATO is handing responsibility for the war to Afghan officials ahead of the exit of foreign troops by the end of 2014, a sign of defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi