NATO rocket killed 52 Afghan civilians: Hamid Karzai
Kabul: Afghan President Hamid Karzai said on Monday that NATO troops had fired a rocket that killed 52
"innocent" villagers in southern Afghanistan, as leaked
documents laid bare the civilian toll of the US-led war.
An investigation by the National Directorate of Security
found that a house in Helmand province`s Sangin district was
hit on Friday "by a rocket launched by NATO/ISAF troops,
leaving 52 civilians dead, including women and children,"
a statement from Karzai`s office said.
"The president condoled via phone with the mourning
families and called on NATO troops to put into practice every
possible measure to avoid harming civilians during military
operations," it said.
Karzai`s statement came three days after Friday`s attack
on Regey village, and followed repeated denials by officials
of NATO`s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) that
their forces were involved in the incident.
The statement said Karzai was "deeply saddened by the
heartbreaking incident, which is both morally and humanly
"The president and cabinet of the Islamic Republic of
Afghanistan condemned on Monday in the strongest possible
terms the rocket attack on a village in Helmand province that
killed up to 52 innocent civilians," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt