‘Need to pressure Pak to bring to justice 26/11 culprits`
Washington: Terming the 2008 Mumbai attacks as a "crime against humanity", Ed Royce, the next chairman of the powerful House Foreign Relations Committee has said that there is a need to exhort pressure on Pakistan to bring to justice the culprits of the mayhem.
"These terrorists have committed crimes against humanity. They need to be brought to justice and that`s where I think the pressure needs to be applied," Royce told a group of Indian journalists.
"I do not care if this is in the international criminal court, if its in The Hague, or we try them in Pakistan, but they have to be tried for the crimes they have committed.
"We have to put pressure on the Government of Pakistan to see that justice is done, because you cannot have this kind of mayhem, this type of wholesale slaughter of innocent people, men women and children and not see justice done," he said.
Royce was speaking at the Capitol Hill on the sidelines of the annual `US-India Congressional Caucus Appreciation Dinner` organised by the Indian American Forum for Political Education.
Yesterday, the Republican Party, which has a majority in the US House of Representatives, announced that Royce would be the Chairman of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. He replaces Congresswoman, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen.
Royce is the current Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus for India and Indian Americans in the House of Representatives.
Besides pushing Pakistan to act strongly against the 26/11 perpetrators and other terrorist attacks, Royce said he would also focus on improving trade relationship between the two countries, and more India-US co-operation in counter-terrorism sector.
Royce, who has visited India several times and is one of the best friends of India in the US Congress, said that there is need for both India and the United States to liberalize trade and investment.
"This is an issue where we really would have to do a better job in liberalising trade on both sides. There is necessity of reforms in India and there is necessity here (in US)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly