Kathmandu: Nepal`s main opposition parties on Thursday disrupted Parliament demanding that the Maoist-led government sack two controversial ministers.
The main opposition party Nepali Congress and CPN-UML, the third largest party in the House, obstructed the Parliament proceedings seeking the sacking of Defence Minister Sarat Singh Bhandari and Minister for Land Reforms Prabhu Saha.
Bhandari, leader of Terai-based Madhesi Peoples Rights Forum (Democratic), had sparked a row in the country by alleged remarks that some 22 districts of the plains would be separated from Nepal if the Madhesi’s demand of forming a separate unit within the Nepal Army is not fulfilled.
However, Bhandari had disowned the statement, saying that his remarks were twisted by the media.
Saha has been suspected for his involvement in the murder of Hindu Yuva Sangh chairman Kashinath Tiwari last year, a charge he has denied.
Lawyers of Tiwari has alleged that the public prosecutor has refused to register a case against him on Wednesday due to government’s influence.
The Parliament was adjourned till Sunday due to the disruption.
We won’t allow the proceedings of the Parliament unless the Prime Minister sacks the two controversial ministers, said Nepali Congress general secretary Prakash Man Singh.
Singh has made secessionist remarks and we won’t allow the Parliament proceedings to move ahead unless he is sacked, Singh said.
He said the murder-accused Shah has no rights to stay in the cabinet.
Media reports said yesterday that Tiwari’s wife was offered Rs 8 lakh cash to withdraw the case against the minister.