No defence ties with China: Sri Lanka
Hua Hin: Sri Lanka has "very close" and "very special" ties with China but there is unlikely to be a defence relationship between Beijing and Colombo, Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollogama has said.
Asked how he saw the China engagement going, Bogollogama told Singapore`s Straits Times newspaper on Saturday: "It is very close and I call it very special because they have supported our economic agenda and us politically in the Security Council."
He added: "China-Sri Lanka relationship is very special and a growing one."
The minister was asked if there would ever be a Chinese naval base in the port of Hambantota that China is building in southern Sri Lanka.
"They have not asked," Bogollogama said. "There are no such indications that have come our way. Why should we go by fiction and hypothesis on matters of importance? If they wanted to ask, they would have by now."
Could there be a defence relationship with China?
The minister replied: "Not really. Because I see India is our immediate neighbour and our close friend. That also is a unique relationship. India has been very supportive of our efforts for seeking sustainable peace in Sri Lanka. We are quite pleased with the current defence make up of Sri Lanka."
Bogotollogama said Sri Lanka was headed "towards the direction of greater reconciliation and healing" following the military defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in May this year.
"We have already started refugee settlement. It is an opportune time for the Jaffna Tamil community and its friends abroad to look at Sri Lanka again. The president`s first call after the war was for the Sri Lankan community abroad to come back and be part of Sri Lankas` integration. This is something our friends abroad should pick up and respond to."
The minister indicated delays in settling the hundreds of thousands of Tamil civilians interned in military-controlled camps in Sri Lanka`s north following the end of the war by saying they could go home only when the infrastructure in their original places of abode was ready.
"For that we are accelerating our efforts with support from the international community. The process can be accelerated and expedited which, we believe, will be (completed) early next year."
He said according to current estimates, some 100,000 of the estimated over 250,000 inmates in the camps would be settled by the end of this year. "That is a good number to initially target and realise."
Sri Lankan authorities had earlier given the international community to understand that they needed only 180 days to settle people in the camps.
Bogollogama said there were 10,000 former LTTE cadres currently in camps and that they "should come out well and play a useful role in their own lives and in society".
But he quickly added that if they had committed grave crimes, "that lot we can always deal with due process of law".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly