Pak avalanche `won’t undermine morale of soldiers`
Islamabad: A massive avalanche smashed into a key Pakistani Army camp in the Siachen sector along the Indian border on Saturday, burying more than 100 soldiers under the snow.
Troops, aided by helicopters, bulldozers and sniffer dogs, were frantically trying to search any survivors in the snow after the avalanche hit the remote camp in mountainous Gayari region in Siachen at around 6 am local time.
In a statement, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani expressed his shock at the incident, which he said "would in no way undermine the high morale of soldiers and officers".
A team of doctors and paramedics has also been rushed to the high-altitude region.
"It`s a very massive scale slide," chief military spokesman Maj Gen Athar Abbas was quoted as saying by media. "They are under the slide but we haven`t lost hope. The rescue work is on, and we are keeping our fingers crossed."
He said more than 100 soldiers of the Northern Light Infantry were trapped when the avalanche hit the military camp.
A military statement said that helicopters, sniffer dogs and additional troops had been sent to the area to help with the rescue in the desolate region.
The incident occurred at a spot near Skardu in the eastern Karakoram mountain range.
Some reports had suggested that 135 soldiers, including a Colonel, had been hit by the avalanche. There were reports of casualties but these could not be independently confirmed. Gayari is home to an important battalion headquarters and at one time, up to 3,000 soldiers were based in the area.
Following the ceasefire along the frontiers in Jammu and Kashmir, both India and Pakistan reduced troop levels.
The Siachen glacier is known as the world`s highest and coldest battlefield. More Indian and Pakistani soldiers have been killed by adverse weather than combat in the sector.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception