Pak court adjourns Musharraf hearing till April 9
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Thursday adjourned till April 09 the hearing of a petition seeking the registration of a second FIR on Benazir Bhutto`s assassination after former military ruler Pervez Musharraf sought more time to file a reply.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry issued the directive after Musharraf`s counsel sought time to file a response.
Musharraf has been living in self-exile in London and Dubai since he left Pakistan in early 2009.
The apex court had earlier summoned Musharraf to appear before it today in connection with a petition filed by Bhutto`s former protocol officer Aslam Chaudhry, who wants a second FIR to be registered against Musharraf and others in connection with her assassination on December 27, 2007.
The court issued the summons after Musharraf failed to respond to repeated calls to appear in court.
Nobody appeared in the apex court today on behalf of Interior Minister Rehman Malik and former law minister Babar Awan, who have been named as respondents in the petition.
The bench resumed hearing the case a day after Aseefa Bhutto and Bakhtawar Bhutto, the daughters of Benazir Bhutto, posted messages on Twitter that contended Musharraf had ordered the hosing down of the site in Rawalpindi where Bhutto was assassinated.
They alleged Musharraf was aware of a conspiracy regarding the assassination.
US writer Mark Siegel, a close aide of Bhutto, too alleged in an article in New York Daily News that Musharraf had knowledge of plans to assassinate Bhutto but had failed to provide her security when she returned to Pakistan from self-exile in late 2007.
Musharraf`s failure to provide security to Bhutto, despite his full knowledge that an assassination would be attempted, all but ensured that the conspiracy would succeed, Siegel contended.
Seven suspects, including two senior police officers, are currently facing trial in an anti-terrorism court for Bhutto`s assassination.
The police officers were arrested on charges of negligence in providing security to Bhutto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation