Pak Govt to tell court Davis doesn’t enjoy blanket immunity: Report
Islamabad: The Pakistan Government will inform the Lahore High Court on Monday that double murder-accused US official Raymond Davis does not possess blanket immunity, sources have said.
The LHC will resume its hearing on Monday on petitions against the possible handover of Davis to US authorities after a break of three weeks sought by the government to file a reply.
After an initial analysis of the Vienna Convention, the law of the land and international law practices relating to diplomatic immunity, the Pakistan People’s Party-led federal government has taken the legal position that Davis lacks blanket criminal diplomatic immunity, well-placed sources told The Nation.
“Raymond Davis has no diplomatic visa, therefore, the US’ claim of criminal immunity is invalid,” the sources said, adding that Davis has no diplomatic card as per the Blue Book (protocol manual) of Pakistan’s Foreign Office.
Meanwhile, the US, which maintains that Davis is a member of the "technical and administrative staff" at the US embassy in Islamabad, and is "entitled to full criminal immunity in accordance with the Vienna Convention", is closely monitoring the situation.
“We are waiting for the Lahore High Court’s decision,” said the US embassy’s official spokesperson, when asked whether there were any senior US government officials planning unscheduled visit to Pakistan either on Sunday or Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video