Pak: Hafiz wants to end ``unIslamic`` VIP culture
Lahore: Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, who has a US bounty of USD 10 million on his head, has said those enjoying government perks are not only violating the Constitution, but also principles outlined in Islam.
Saeed, who founded the Lashkar-e-Toiba, an outfit later banned by the Pakistan government, filed a petition before the Lahore High Court challenging VIP culture for officials enjoying the top most government posts in the country, reports The Express Tribune.
Saeed, in his petition, said all public functionaries who are "living like kings and princes in palatial government houses" are not only committing a grave violation of Sunna of the holy Prophet who preached humility, modesty and contentment with available resources, but are also guilty of direct contravention of the dictates of the Constitution of Pakistan.
He said provisions of the Constitution should be implemented to convert the ``public rulers`` into ``public servants``.
The petition went on to identify serving commissioners who all lived in houses of 100 kanal each. As reference, he pointed to the residence of the British prime minister - a small four-bedroom house built in the 17th century.
Saeed contested that the way the British prime minister lives is ``truly Islamic`` and follows the guidelines enshrined in the Sunnah of the Prophet.
Giving details of expenses of different government functionaries, the petition said that staff, household and allowances of the president amounted to Rs 1 million per day, prime minister`s secretariat Rs 1.2 million per day, the National Assembly Rs 4 million per day, Senate Rs 2 million per day and the cabinet secretariat Rs 200 million per day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata