Pak: Hafiz wants to end ``unIslamic`` VIP culture
Lahore: Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, who has a US bounty of USD 10 million on his head, has said those enjoying government perks are not only violating the Constitution, but also principles outlined in Islam.
Saeed, who founded the Lashkar-e-Toiba, an outfit later banned by the Pakistan government, filed a petition before the Lahore High Court challenging VIP culture for officials enjoying the top most government posts in the country, reports The Express Tribune.
Saeed, in his petition, said all public functionaries who are "living like kings and princes in palatial government houses" are not only committing a grave violation of Sunna of the holy Prophet who preached humility, modesty and contentment with available resources, but are also guilty of direct contravention of the dictates of the Constitution of Pakistan.
He said provisions of the Constitution should be implemented to convert the ``public rulers`` into ``public servants``.
The petition went on to identify serving commissioners who all lived in houses of 100 kanal each. As reference, he pointed to the residence of the British prime minister - a small four-bedroom house built in the 17th century.
Saeed contested that the way the British prime minister lives is ``truly Islamic`` and follows the guidelines enshrined in the Sunnah of the Prophet.
Giving details of expenses of different government functionaries, the petition said that staff, household and allowances of the president amounted to Rs 1 million per day, prime minister`s secretariat Rs 1.2 million per day, the National Assembly Rs 4 million per day, Senate Rs 2 million per day and the cabinet secretariat Rs 200 million per day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far