`Pak, India should compete in economic reforms`
Lahore: Pakistan Muslim League-N (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif has called on both Pakistan and India to move beyond the old thought process for resolving the outstanding issues marring relations between the two nuclear neighbours.
Addressing a function ‘Building Bridges in the Subcontinent’ held in connection with the Independence Day, Nawaz said that Islam preaches maintaining cordial relationship with neighbours, adding that Pakistan should maintain ideal and peaceful relationships with its neighbours, including India, as part of Islamic teachings.
He maintained that both countries must resolve all issues through dialogue, and that people-to-people contact should be increased because peace and prosperity are substantially connected to it.
Pakistan and India should have competition in economic reforms, rather than competing with each other in an arms race, the Dawn quoted Nawaz, as saying.
He said that the arms race between the two countries had damaged their social sector and infrastructure, and that both nations needed to resolve bilateral issues and increase trade for the betterment of the people in two countries.
India and Pakistan shared common heritage, habits and culture, the former prime minister said, and supported continuing bilateral dialogue to solve all problems.
He was of the view that the two countries should work together in infrastructure development as well as for the close economic ties.
Nawaz noted that both countries shared same eating habits, language, culture and other commonalities. “The difference is only of the border,” he averred.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference