Pak man arrested for blasphemy
Lahore: A Shia man in Pakistan`s Punjab
province has been arrested under the controversial blasphemy
law for using foul language against three Caliphs or
companions of Prophet Mohammed.
Iftikhar Ali was arrested in Okara district, about 100 km
He could face life imprisonment if the charges against
him are proved.
"Ali was arrested for using foul language against the
three Caliphs of Islam," said a senior police official of the
Ali had been booked following a complaint from a local
resident, he said.
The arrested man denied the charges.
"Since no one here dares to raise his voice against the
controversial blasphemy law, it is being used to exploit
minority communities or the Shia sect," said a minority
legislator of the Punjab Assembly, who refused to be named
because of fears of being targeted by extremists.
The legislator said that none of his colleagues in
the assembly is ready to talk on issues affecting minority
communities or the persecution of minorities through the
misuse of the blasphemy law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!