Pak man arrested for blasphemy
Lahore: A Shia man in Pakistan`s Punjab
province has been arrested under the controversial blasphemy
law for using foul language against three Caliphs or
companions of Prophet Mohammed.
Iftikhar Ali was arrested in Okara district, about 100 km
He could face life imprisonment if the charges against
him are proved.
"Ali was arrested for using foul language against the
three Caliphs of Islam," said a senior police official of the
Ali had been booked following a complaint from a local
resident, he said.
The arrested man denied the charges.
"Since no one here dares to raise his voice against the
controversial blasphemy law, it is being used to exploit
minority communities or the Shia sect," said a minority
legislator of the Punjab Assembly, who refused to be named
because of fears of being targeted by extremists.
The legislator said that none of his colleagues in
the assembly is ready to talk on issues affecting minority
communities or the persecution of minorities through the
misuse of the blasphemy law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan