Pak man arrested for blasphemy
Lahore: A Shia man in Pakistan`s Punjab
province has been arrested under the controversial blasphemy
law for using foul language against three Caliphs or
companions of Prophet Mohammed.
Iftikhar Ali was arrested in Okara district, about 100 km
He could face life imprisonment if the charges against
him are proved.
"Ali was arrested for using foul language against the
three Caliphs of Islam," said a senior police official of the
Ali had been booked following a complaint from a local
resident, he said.
The arrested man denied the charges.
"Since no one here dares to raise his voice against the
controversial blasphemy law, it is being used to exploit
minority communities or the Shia sect," said a minority
legislator of the Punjab Assembly, who refused to be named
because of fears of being targeted by extremists.
The legislator said that none of his colleagues in
the assembly is ready to talk on issues affecting minority
communities or the persecution of minorities through the
misuse of the blasphemy law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?