Pak man arrested for blasphemy
Lahore: A Shia man in Pakistan`s Punjab
province has been arrested under the controversial blasphemy
law for using foul language against three Caliphs or
companions of Prophet Mohammed.
Iftikhar Ali was arrested in Okara district, about 100 km
He could face life imprisonment if the charges against
him are proved.
"Ali was arrested for using foul language against the
three Caliphs of Islam," said a senior police official of the
Ali had been booked following a complaint from a local
resident, he said.
The arrested man denied the charges.
"Since no one here dares to raise his voice against the
controversial blasphemy law, it is being used to exploit
minority communities or the Shia sect," said a minority
legislator of the Punjab Assembly, who refused to be named
because of fears of being targeted by extremists.
The legislator said that none of his colleagues in
the assembly is ready to talk on issues affecting minority
communities or the persecution of minorities through the
misuse of the blasphemy law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez