Pak parliament adopts democracy resolution ahead of protests
Islamabad: Pakistan`s National Assembly today endorsed a unanimous resolution for strengthening of democratic institutions and supremacy of the constitution and the parliament, as the government braces for mass protests led by powerful opposition leaders Tahir-ul Qadri and Imran Khan.
The key resolution was tabled by Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal ahead of crucial protests by parties led by influential cleric Qadri and cricketer-turned- politician Khan on Thursday.
The resolution said that the country`s defence and development are linked with democracy. It said the parliament is working for the constitution, rule of law and the democracy and would continue to do so.
It said that Pakistan was created by Muhammad Ali Jinnah through a democratic struggle and power of vote.
The house also debated on prevailing political situation in the country and the threat posed to the country by the protests.
It was agreed that parliament was the proper forum to resolve issues and the protesting parties were urged not to sabotage democracy.
The members also demanded that the government designate specific places for public rallies.
The resolution has special importance as both Qadri and Khan have threatened to topple the government through their agitation.
Qadri who returned from Canada in June said he will bring a revolution and Khan wants to highlight alleged rigging in last year`s general election which brought Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan