Pak Prez asked not to undertake political activities
Islamabad: A court on Monday asked President Asif Ali Zardari not to take part in political activities till the next hearing on March 29 of a petition challenging his holding of the post of head of the Pakistan People’s Party.
“The President should follow the court’s order by not taking part in political activities,” Lahore High Court Chief Justice Umar Atta Bandial observed while hearing the petition against Zardari.
He observed that after a recent decision given by the High Court, Zardari had avoided political activities in the presidency but was continuing with them at Bilawal House, his private residence in Lahore.
“He (President) should show respect to the court and not indulge in political activities till the next hearing on March 29,” Bandial remarked.
Wasim Sajjad, the counsel for the federal government, could not appear in court on Monday to present arguments as he was busy with another case in the Supreme Court.
“We will hear the case on March 30, the court’s holiday, in case Mr Sajjad does not appear on March 29 with the same excuse,” Bandial said.
Additional Advocate-General Abdul Hai Gilani informed the court that the President was not involved in political activities in Bilawal House and reports in this regard in the media were not accurate.
“We had issued a clarification but the media did not publish and broadcast it,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video