Pak witnessed 232 suicide attacks during 2002-09
Islamabad: Pakistan witnessed 232 suicide attacks during the period between 2002 and 2009 that killed 2,576 civilians and security personnel and injured 6,876 others, according to information provided to Parliament on Friday.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik gave the figures while replying to a query from a lawmaker in the Senate or upper house of Parliament.
He said the highest number of suicide attacks was recorded during the past year - 91 incidents that claimed the lives of 197 security personnel and 671 civilians. Another 338 security personnel and 2,183 civilians were injured in these attacks.
A total of 63 suicide attacks occurred in 2008, killing 149 security personnel and 619 civilians and injuring 1,896 others.
Fifty-six suicide attacks in 2007 killed 618 people and injured 1551 others.
During 2006, a total 141 people were killed and 273 injured in suicide attacks.
In 2005, only three suicide attacks were reported and 30 civilians were killed while 121 were injured.
Five suicide attacks recorded in 2004 killed 55 people and injured 312 others.
In 2003, a total of 67 people were killed and 103 injured in two suicide attacks.
During 2002, a total of 29 people were killed and 99 injured in four suicide attacks, Malik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter