Pak witnessed 232 suicide attacks during 2002-09
Islamabad: Pakistan witnessed 232 suicide attacks during the period between 2002 and 2009 that killed 2,576 civilians and security personnel and injured 6,876 others, according to information provided to Parliament on Friday.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik gave the figures while replying to a query from a lawmaker in the Senate or upper house of Parliament.
He said the highest number of suicide attacks was recorded during the past year - 91 incidents that claimed the lives of 197 security personnel and 671 civilians. Another 338 security personnel and 2,183 civilians were injured in these attacks.
A total of 63 suicide attacks occurred in 2008, killing 149 security personnel and 619 civilians and injuring 1,896 others.
Fifty-six suicide attacks in 2007 killed 618 people and injured 1551 others.
During 2006, a total 141 people were killed and 273 injured in suicide attacks.
In 2005, only three suicide attacks were reported and 30 civilians were killed while 121 were injured.
Five suicide attacks recorded in 2004 killed 55 people and injured 312 others.
In 2003, a total of 67 people were killed and 103 injured in two suicide attacks.
During 2002, a total of 29 people were killed and 99 injured in four suicide attacks, Malik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly