Pak witnessed 232 suicide attacks during 2002-09
Islamabad: Pakistan witnessed 232 suicide attacks during the period between 2002 and 2009 that killed 2,576 civilians and security personnel and injured 6,876 others, according to information provided to Parliament on Friday.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik gave the figures while replying to a query from a lawmaker in the Senate or upper house of Parliament.
He said the highest number of suicide attacks was recorded during the past year - 91 incidents that claimed the lives of 197 security personnel and 671 civilians. Another 338 security personnel and 2,183 civilians were injured in these attacks.
A total of 63 suicide attacks occurred in 2008, killing 149 security personnel and 619 civilians and injuring 1,896 others.
Fifty-six suicide attacks in 2007 killed 618 people and injured 1551 others.
During 2006, a total 141 people were killed and 273 injured in suicide attacks.
In 2005, only three suicide attacks were reported and 30 civilians were killed while 121 were injured.
Five suicide attacks recorded in 2004 killed 55 people and injured 312 others.
In 2003, a total of 67 people were killed and 103 injured in two suicide attacks.
During 2002, a total of 29 people were killed and 99 injured in four suicide attacks, Malik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice