Pak witnessed 232 suicide attacks during 2002-09
Islamabad: Pakistan witnessed 232 suicide attacks during the period between 2002 and 2009 that killed 2,576 civilians and security personnel and injured 6,876 others, according to information provided to Parliament on Friday.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik gave the figures while replying to a query from a lawmaker in the Senate or upper house of Parliament.
He said the highest number of suicide attacks was recorded during the past year - 91 incidents that claimed the lives of 197 security personnel and 671 civilians. Another 338 security personnel and 2,183 civilians were injured in these attacks.
A total of 63 suicide attacks occurred in 2008, killing 149 security personnel and 619 civilians and injuring 1,896 others.
Fifty-six suicide attacks in 2007 killed 618 people and injured 1551 others.
During 2006, a total 141 people were killed and 273 injured in suicide attacks.
In 2005, only three suicide attacks were reported and 30 civilians were killed while 121 were injured.
Five suicide attacks recorded in 2004 killed 55 people and injured 312 others.
In 2003, a total of 67 people were killed and 103 injured in two suicide attacks.
During 2002, a total of 29 people were killed and 99 injured in four suicide attacks, Malik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy