Pakistan Army not be deployed at polling stations
Islamabad: The Pakistan government has decided not to deploy army personnel at polling stations during the May 11 general elections, a media report said Saturday.
The decision was taken Friday at a meeting on law and order presided over by caretaker prime minister Justice (retired) Mir Hazar Khan Khoso, the Dawn reported.
Caretaker information minister Arif Nizami said the army would not be deployed at sensitive polling stations but it would be kept in reserve, close to cantonment areas to act as a quick response force if the need arises.
However, the government`s decision is contrary to that of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) which said the army would be deployed at all sensitive polling stations in Karachi and other parts of the country.
A senior ECP official said that letters had been sent to the Secretary of Defence, Secretary of Interior, Chief Secretaries, Inspectors General of Police and representatives of law enforcement agencies to discuss the issue.
Nizami said that thought militants may try to sabotage the elections, but officials decided to cope with all challenges, plug the loopholes in security and take steps to improve law and order.
He said arrangements would be made to protect national leaders, candidates, foreign observers, media personnel and voters.
The minister said a policy of crackdown on display of arms would be followed with some exceptions to Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces.
The number of polling stations and polling staff across the country would be 90,000 and 450,000 respectively, he said.
According to a draft polling scheme prepared by the ECP, the number of polling stations is 72,188 and that of staff will be 700,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22