Pakistan lawmakers to elect new premier on June 5
Islamabad: The formal election of Pakistan`s new Prime Minister by members of the National Assembly will be held on June 5, officials said Monday.
PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif is set to become premier for an unprecedented third term.
PML-N officials said his election to the post will be a mere formality as the party has the required numbers in the 342-member National Assembly or lower house of parliament.
The first session of the new National Assembly will be convened on June 1. Soon after the House convenes, the newly elected members will take oath.
Nomination papers for the posts of Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly will be submitted on June 2 and elections will be held the next day.
Nomination papers for the post of Prime Minister will be submitted on June 4 and the election will be held the following day.
The PML-N won 126 of the 272 directly elected seats in the National Assembly in the May 11 general elections.
Eighteen independent candidates recently joined the party, taking its tally of directly elected seats to 144. The PML-N will also be allocated 37 reserved seats for women and non-Muslims.
This will give it 181 seats in the 342-member House, or 10 seats more than the 171 required for a simple majority.
The PML-N`s strength in the National Assembly is set increase further as several parties - including the PML-F, National People`s Party and National Party ? are expected to enter into an alliance with it.
However, the PML-N`s dream of getting Sharif elected unopposed as the new premier has been shattered as Imran Khan`s Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf has announced it will field veteran politician Javed Hashmi for the post.
This is more a symbolic gesture rooted in the Tehrik-e-Insaf`s opposition to the PML-N.
Hashmi is a former PML-N leader who quit the party and joined the Tehrik-e-Insaf last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday