Pakistan says its nuclear assets completely safe
Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday said its nuclear assets are completely safe and dismissed the world`s suspicions as "baseless" at a meeting of the National Command Authority chaired by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Director General of Strategic Planning Division Khalid Kadwai briefed the meeting about the security and safety measures of the country`s nuclear installations and arsenals.
He said the world`s suspicions about Pakistan`s nuclear arsenals are baseless, state-run Radio Pakistan reported.
The meeting is also holding an in-depth discussion on the recent tension at the Line of Control and the fallout of any US attack on Syria.
The Authority is the principal forum responsible for command and control of the country`s nuclear arsenal. It also looks after the security and safety of nuclear installations.
The meeting was attended by Foreign Affairs and National Security Adviser Sartaj Aziz Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar - Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee and the three services chiefs.
Earlier this week, Pakistan had reacted to a report on US concerns about its nuclear arsenal by saying it has extensive protection measures and a robust control system for its atomic weapons that are aimed at maintaining stability in South Asia.
The remarks by Pakistan`s Foreign Office came in response to a report in The Washington Post that said the US spends billions monitoring adversaries like al-Qaeda and Iran but has an "equally intense focus" on its "purported ally" Pakistan and has ramped up surveillance of its nuclear arms.
Citing a 178-page summary of the American intelligence community`s "black budget", The Post reported that the US had ramped up its surveillance of Pakistan`s nuclear arms and was concerned about its biological and chemical arms sites.
Pakistan is believed to have about 120 nuclear warheads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset