Pardon Taseer`s killer: Pak party to Zardari
Islamabad: Pakistan`s fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami party has asked President Asif Ali Zardari to use his special powers to grant amnesty to Punjab governor Salmaan Taseer`s self-confessed assassin Mumtaz Qadri, who was sentenced to death last month.
A resolution passed by the Jamaat-e-Islami`s `shura` or council urged the President to announce an amnesty for Qadri under the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), a controversial law passed by ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf to provide relief to politicians of the ruling PPP who were charged in various criminal cases.
"Government should withdraw the case against him (Qadri) for murdering Taseer in the public interest," it said.
The Jamaat-e-Islami referred to thousands of cases against criminals and politicians that were withdrawn under the NRO.
Qadri, who was angered by Taseer`s opposition to the controversial blasphemy law, confessed to killing the outspoken governor in an anti-terrorism court that subsequently convicted him and gave him two death sentences for two counts of terrorism and murder. His lawyers have filed an appeal against the sentence in the Islamabad High Court.
However, the Jamaat-e-Islami`s leadership observed in the resolution: "Qadri gunned down Taseer for criticising the blasphemy law in line with the sentiments of the masses”.
The party referred to Article 45 of the Constitution which empowers the President to grant pardon to anybody. Taseer had similarly sought a presidential pardon for Aasia Bibi, a Christian woman sentenced to death for allegedly committing blasphemy.
Qadri cited this as an incident that had angered him. He has also said that he was irked by the late Governor`s criticism of the blasphemy law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad