Possible role of cops in attack on Pakistan anti-terror official
Karachi: Authorities have not ruled out the possibility that elements within the police force were involved in last week`s suicide attack that killed Chaudhary Aslam, one of Pakistan`s most daring counter-terror officials.
"The involvement of an insider in the police department who might be a Taliban sympathiser or activist is not being ruled out, nor is the involvement of family members or friends," said an official who did not want to be named.
Aslam was killed with two other policemen when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into his motorcade in Karachi on Thursday.
Besides the police, a special team of the Military Intelligence and Federal Investigation Agency is investigating the attack.
The official said the FIA had collected data of phone calls made by members of Aslam`s team and his family and relatives. "There is a feeling that someone from inside tipped off the attackers about Aslam`s route and the timing of his movements," the official said.
Another official said two members of Aslam`s family were called in for questioning.
Aslam always kept his movements secret as he was on the hit list of terrorists and criminal organisations.
In the past, sympathisers of the Taliban within the police department were arrested for selling out fellow officers and colleagues, an official said.
The outlawed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack and police have named Taliban chief Maulana Fazlullah and spokesman Shahidullah Shahid in an FIR.
The Karachi police team led by DIG (CID) Zafar Bukhari, which is investigating the attack, claimed a seminary student named Naeemullah was the suicide bomber who targeted Aslam`s convoy.
"The interesting thing is that Naeemullah?s brother was reportedly killed some time back by the Taliban for failing to carry out a terrorist attack," one official said.
Evidence collected from the site of the blast has been sent to Islamabad for DNA tests to confirm Naeemullah`s involvement in the attack.
Aslam was a highly decorated officer who became famous for his stand against terrorists and militants in Karachi. He had survived several attempts on his life.
After his slaying, police and paramilitary Pakistan Rangers launched operations in areas of Karachi where the Taliban and other militant groups have reportedly set up safe houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?