PPP to consult all political forces to ensure fair polls
Islamabad: The ruling Pakistan People`s Party on Tuesday decided to start consultations with all political forces for ensuring free and fair polls to the national and provincial assemblies, which are set to complete their tenure in March.
The core committee of the PPP, during a meeting held here this evening, urged Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to hold consultations with "all political forces on the mode and modalities for holding elections to the national and provincial assemblies in a free, fair, transparent and peaceful manner," said a statement issued by the premier`s office.
Ashraf announced he would formally start the consultation process. The meeting reviewed the political situation in the country with a focus on holding free and fair elections in accordance with the law and Constitution.
The PPP`s top leadership resolved that the elections "within the time limit stipulated in the Constitution and will not be delayed even for a day".
The meeting felicitated the premier for handling "recent threats mounted by some elements to postpone the elections".
Though the statement did not name these elements, the PPP leadership was apparently referring to the recent protest by cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who had demanded the dissolution of the assemblies and the formation of a caretaker government after consultations with the army and the judiciary.
Qadri ended a four-day protest in Islamabad after signing a face-saving deal with the government last week.
The PPP and opposition parties have accused Qadri of acting as a front for the security establishment in order to delay polls scheduled to be held in May.
The Parliament will complete its term on March 16 and federal ministers have said that the next general election will be held by mid-May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue