Situation in northern Lanka has improved: FM GL Peiris
New Delhi: Situation in northern Sri Lanka, which bore the brunt of decade-long war, has improved, its Foreign Minister GL Peiris said while asking "cynics" not to be guided by propaganda.
He also said that the Sri Lankan government is ready to form an all-party Parliamentary Select Committee to discuss issues faced by ethnic Tamils and asked Tamil National Alliance to join the process as soon as possible.
"Those who are objective and fair minded and open, as opposed to those who have made up their minds, have been to the north and have witnessed the revival of the economy.
"Today job creation, percolation of benefits to grass- roots level, revival of fisheries, cultivation of horticultural fruits and vegetables, all these things are happening there," he said.
Asked about the opposition by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa over training of Sri Lankan military personnel in India, he merely said, "We would ask the people, who are cynical and who are repeatedly writing these letters to authorities in this country, not to be guided by propaganda.
"Let them be guided by the evidence of their own mind and we are inviting them in all earnest. We have had Parliamentary delegations from Australia, from Japan also."
On devolution of powers with the Tamil population in the country, he said the process to convene a Parliamentary Select Committee is on.
"Government is ready with its name for the Parliamentary Select Committee. We have formulated the terms of reference for the committee. We would like the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and others Tamil political parties to join the proceedings of the committee as soon as possible," he said.
He hoped that Tamil parties will express their willingness to participate in the process.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy