Situation in northern Lanka has improved: FM GL Peiris
New Delhi: Situation in northern Sri Lanka, which bore the brunt of decade-long war, has improved, its Foreign Minister GL Peiris said while asking "cynics" not to be guided by propaganda.
He also said that the Sri Lankan government is ready to form an all-party Parliamentary Select Committee to discuss issues faced by ethnic Tamils and asked Tamil National Alliance to join the process as soon as possible.
"Those who are objective and fair minded and open, as opposed to those who have made up their minds, have been to the north and have witnessed the revival of the economy.
"Today job creation, percolation of benefits to grass- roots level, revival of fisheries, cultivation of horticultural fruits and vegetables, all these things are happening there," he said.
Asked about the opposition by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa over training of Sri Lankan military personnel in India, he merely said, "We would ask the people, who are cynical and who are repeatedly writing these letters to authorities in this country, not to be guided by propaganda.
"Let them be guided by the evidence of their own mind and we are inviting them in all earnest. We have had Parliamentary delegations from Australia, from Japan also."
On devolution of powers with the Tamil population in the country, he said the process to convene a Parliamentary Select Committee is on.
"Government is ready with its name for the Parliamentary Select Committee. We have formulated the terms of reference for the committee. We would like the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and others Tamil political parties to join the proceedings of the committee as soon as possible," he said.
He hoped that Tamil parties will express their willingness to participate in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in