Situation in northern Lanka has improved: FM GL Peiris
New Delhi: Situation in northern Sri Lanka, which bore the brunt of decade-long war, has improved, its Foreign Minister GL Peiris said while asking "cynics" not to be guided by propaganda.
He also said that the Sri Lankan government is ready to form an all-party Parliamentary Select Committee to discuss issues faced by ethnic Tamils and asked Tamil National Alliance to join the process as soon as possible.
"Those who are objective and fair minded and open, as opposed to those who have made up their minds, have been to the north and have witnessed the revival of the economy.
"Today job creation, percolation of benefits to grass- roots level, revival of fisheries, cultivation of horticultural fruits and vegetables, all these things are happening there," he said.
Asked about the opposition by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa over training of Sri Lankan military personnel in India, he merely said, "We would ask the people, who are cynical and who are repeatedly writing these letters to authorities in this country, not to be guided by propaganda.
"Let them be guided by the evidence of their own mind and we are inviting them in all earnest. We have had Parliamentary delegations from Australia, from Japan also."
On devolution of powers with the Tamil population in the country, he said the process to convene a Parliamentary Select Committee is on.
"Government is ready with its name for the Parliamentary Select Committee. We have formulated the terms of reference for the committee. We would like the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) and others Tamil political parties to join the proceedings of the committee as soon as possible," he said.
He hoped that Tamil parties will express their willingness to participate in the process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in