Pro-monarchist party wants Nepal as `Hindu nation`
Kathmandu: A pro-monarchist party on Saturday demanded that Nepal be declared a `Hindu nation` along with restoration of the country`s erstwhile monarchy.
Addressing a public meeting in Saptari, Kamal Thapa, Chairman of pro-monarchist Rastriya Prajatantra Party Nepal, vowed to establish `a democracy inclusive of monarchy and a Hindu nation in the near future` while announcing launch of a nationwide signature campaign from October 21 to 28 this year in support of the demand.
Following the popular uprising of 2008, the Nepalese Parliament had declared the erstwhile Hindu Kingdom of Nepal as a secular nation through a resolution.
Thapa further claimed that the abolition of monarchy in 2008 was against the agreement reached between the former King and the political parties during the People`s Movement of 2006.
He also said the High Level Political Committee of representatives from the four major political parties was the main hurdle towards guaranteeing the Constituent Assembly polls on November 19.
"Until the mechanism accommodates other parties too, it would be difficult to ensure the upcoming election," Thapa said.
Nepal`s fringe parties led by CPN-Maoist, the breakaway faction of Unified CPN-Maoist, have been demanding that the current interim election government be replaced with a political party-led administration and the November election be deferred alleging that the polls were announced by "an unconstitutional government" without consulting them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH