Pro-monarchist party wants Nepal as `Hindu nation`
Kathmandu: A pro-monarchist party on Saturday demanded that Nepal be declared a `Hindu nation` along with restoration of the country`s erstwhile monarchy.
Addressing a public meeting in Saptari, Kamal Thapa, Chairman of pro-monarchist Rastriya Prajatantra Party Nepal, vowed to establish `a democracy inclusive of monarchy and a Hindu nation in the near future` while announcing launch of a nationwide signature campaign from October 21 to 28 this year in support of the demand.
Following the popular uprising of 2008, the Nepalese Parliament had declared the erstwhile Hindu Kingdom of Nepal as a secular nation through a resolution.
Thapa further claimed that the abolition of monarchy in 2008 was against the agreement reached between the former King and the political parties during the People`s Movement of 2006.
He also said the High Level Political Committee of representatives from the four major political parties was the main hurdle towards guaranteeing the Constituent Assembly polls on November 19.
"Until the mechanism accommodates other parties too, it would be difficult to ensure the upcoming election," Thapa said.
Nepal`s fringe parties led by CPN-Maoist, the breakaway faction of Unified CPN-Maoist, have been demanding that the current interim election government be replaced with a political party-led administration and the November election be deferred alleging that the polls were announced by "an unconstitutional government" without consulting them.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know