Rajapaksa opens Sri Lanka’s second international airport
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Monday inaugurated the country`s second international airport in his home district of Hambantota, built with Chinese assistance.
Rajapaksa boarded a flight of the national carrier Srilankan Airlines from the Bandaranaike International airport here, and landed at Mattala airport located in the remote part of Hambantota and now named the Mahinda Rajapaksa International Airport (MRIA).
The presidential flight was followed by the landing of the first commercial flight, the national carrier’s UL 226 from Dubai.
There were two more landings thereafter, Air Arabia from Sharjah and Fly Dubai from UAE, both budget airlines.
The USD 209 million first phase of the airport began in 2009.
About 1,000 hectares around it are being developed as a free trade zone and warehouses.
“Hambantota is Sri Lanka’s future aviation hub. This will be operated as an aircraft maintenance centre,” Colonel Prasanna Wickremasuriya, the head of the government’s aviation authority said.
Developing Hambantota, one of Sri Lanka’s poorest regions has been the brain child of Rajapaksa.
Already, the district has seen the construction of a modern international cricket stadium, and IT park in addition to the development of the Hambantota port with Chinese assistance.
The Shangri-la resort chain is also currently building a mega hotel project in Hambantota.
Both the airport and the port ventures are funded by Chinese Export-Import Bank.
The airport is expected to handle a million travellers a year.
The airport’s strip is equipped to land the Airbus A380 with its 3500 metre—long and 60 metre—wide runway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!