Security up in Islamabad ahead of Christmas
Islamabad: Authorities in the Pakistani capital have enhanced security ahead of Christmas and deployed additional policemen at churches and Christian neighbourhoods after a church received a threatening letter.
Our Lady of Fatima Church, located in Sector F-8 in the heart of Islamabad, received an anonymous letter on November 14 that threatened the church with an attack for organising a prayer service for Malala Yusufzai, the teenage rights activist who was recently targeted by the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
Islamabad Police chief Bin Yamin told the media that comprehensive security arrangements have been made for Christmas.
Other officials said over 300 policemen will be deployed around churches and areas with sizeable Christian populations.
Fool-proof security arrangements have been put in place and worshippers will be allowed to enter churches only after being searched with metal detectors and thoroughly frisked, officials said.
Walk-through gates will be installed at the entrances of churches.
Forested areas near churches will be searched and three special police squads and commandos will patrol nearby neighbourhoods around churches.
Father Rehmat of Fatima Church was quoted by Dawn newspaper as saying that the church had received a threatening letter.
The police was informed about the letter but no arrests were made, he said.
Margalla Police Station chief Irshad Abro said police were investigating the matter but had not uncovered any credible information as to who was behind the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire