Security up in Islamabad ahead of Christmas
Islamabad: Authorities in the Pakistani capital have enhanced security ahead of Christmas and deployed additional policemen at churches and Christian neighbourhoods after a church received a threatening letter.
Our Lady of Fatima Church, located in Sector F-8 in the heart of Islamabad, received an anonymous letter on November 14 that threatened the church with an attack for organising a prayer service for Malala Yusufzai, the teenage rights activist who was recently targeted by the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan.
Islamabad Police chief Bin Yamin told the media that comprehensive security arrangements have been made for Christmas.
Other officials said over 300 policemen will be deployed around churches and areas with sizeable Christian populations.
Fool-proof security arrangements have been put in place and worshippers will be allowed to enter churches only after being searched with metal detectors and thoroughly frisked, officials said.
Walk-through gates will be installed at the entrances of churches.
Forested areas near churches will be searched and three special police squads and commandos will patrol nearby neighbourhoods around churches.
Father Rehmat of Fatima Church was quoted by Dawn newspaper as saying that the church had received a threatening letter.
The police was informed about the letter but no arrests were made, he said.
Margalla Police Station chief Irshad Abro said police were investigating the matter but had not uncovered any credible information as to who was behind the threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in