‘Take steps in squeezing Haqqani network`
Washington: The United States has urged
Pakistan to ensure that intelligence information does not go to the Haqqani network and take steps against it.
There is a range of issues that could help to facilitate in squeezing the Haqqani network, a senior administration official said adding that that would be very complementary to US efforts on the Afghan side of the border.
"That includes ensuring that intelligence doesn`t go to
the Haqqani Network, that they address IED issues, that they
don`t benefit from financial resources or flow of finances,
that we deal specifically with areas where we know the Haqqani
Network and the Taliban are based, including kind of key
cities along the border," the official said yesterday.
The issue was raised by the Secretary of State, Hillary
Clinton, during her recent trip to Islamabad.
"We continue to work very, very closely with them, and
(Pak Army Chief) General (Ashfaq Pervez) Kayani and the
civilian leadership have committed themselves to doing - to
undertaking actions and assisting in squeezing," the official
"The Secretary, I think, was quite clear that we all
need to see visible signs of progress as a matter of some
urgency in days and weeks, as she noted, as opposed to months
and years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital