`Taliban grew stronger since 2010 US troop surge`
Washington: The Taliban has grown stronger since President Barack Obama sent 33,000 more US troops to Afghanistan in 2010, according to Senate intelligence leaders.
A report by Senator Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, and Representative Mike Rogers, Republican, has challenged Obama`s evaluation during his visit to Kabul that America has broken the Taliban`s momentum.
Feinstein said: "I think we`d both say that what we`ve found is that the Taliban is stronger."
Feinstein and Rogers had recently gone for a fact-finding trip to Afghanistan where they met President Hamid Karzai.
"President Karzai believes that the Taliban will not come back. I`m not so sure," adding, "The Taliban has a shadow system of governors in many provinces," News 24 quoted Feinstein as saying.
They said that a recent defence policy bill would withhold about 60 percent of military aid to Pakistan if the Defence Secretary could not prove that the money would be used in fighting the Taliban and ensuring that Pakistan would help to counter roadside bombs.
Both Rogers and Feinstein said the United States should designate the Haqqani network, an Afghan insurgent group believed to be based in Pakistan, as a terrorist organisation.
They said that the USA should take aggressive steps to disrupt their operations.
Rogers said that the group was responsible for almost 500 US deaths and continued to operate outposts along the Afghan-Pakistani border.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know