Three cops killed in Pak, Taliban commander flees
Islamabad: Suspected Taliban militants on Friday ambushed a police convoy taking terror suspects for dental treatment in Peshawar, killing three policemen and driving off with the detainees that included a Taliban commander.
The attack took place at the University of Peshawar, where police were taking the suspects from the city`s central jail.
The gunmen came on two motorcycles and a car, and escaped after killing three policemen and injuring one, said police official Mohammed Ijaz.
Peshawar police chief Imtiaz Altaf said: "They were taken to hospital for a dental check-up. The gunmen fired at them when they returned from the hospital."
The prisoners had been arrested on terrorism charges.
Peshawar, a northwestern metropolis of around 2.5 million people, has repeatedly been targeted by the Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’