Three Shia Muslims shot dead in Pakistan
Islamabad: Unidentified gunmen on Saturday attacked Shia Muslims at two different mosques in eastern Pakistan and killed a prayer leader and two other worshippers, police and witnesses said.
The attacks occurred at a time when Shia Muslims have started holding religious gatherings across Pakistan during the holy month of Muharram, Xinhua reported.
Police said gunmen entered Shia mosques at two different places and sprayed bullets at the worshippers during morning prayers in Gujranwala, a city nearly 60 km east of Lahore, the provincial capital of Punjab.
The attackers, riding motorcycles, fled after the incidents.
A police officer said that the gunmen forced their way into a Shia mosque and fired at the prayer leader, killing him on the spot.
The gunmen also attacked another mosque in the city, sprayed bullets at the Shia Muslims during morning prayers and killed two of them.
Shia mourners and residents protested against the terrorist attacks and demanded that authorities ensure security at their gatherings in the coming days.
Though no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, authorities blame banned sectarian groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read