TTP-Punjab responsible for mosque attacks: Captured terrorist
Lahore: One of the two terrorists arrested
during audacious terror strikes on two mosques of the minority
Ahmedi sect has told investigators that the attackers had
received training in the lawless Waziristan tribal belt and
were working at the behest of the Pakistani Taliban`s Punjabi
Abdullah Mohammad and Amir Muavia were captured after
they stormed the Ahemdi mosque in the upscale Model Town area
of Lahore yesterday.
Muavia was seriously injured when his suicide vest
failed to detonate properly. Mohammad, 18, was captured by
worshippers when he tried to set off explosives strapped to
"We received training in Waziristan (tribal region). Our
commander is Badar Mansoor, who is based in south Punjab,"
Mohammad was quoted as saying by SSP (investigation) Zuliqar
Hamid said Mohammad had disclosed that the attackers
were launched by the Punjabi faction of the Tehrik-e-Taliban
"Muavia is seriously injured and has been operated
upon. We will interrogate him after his condition
improves," Hamid said.
Mohammad hails from Rahim Yar Khan district in the
southern part of Punjab province and police teams have been
sent there to take his family and acquaintances into custody,
Superintendent of Police (Model Town) Rana Ayaz
Salim said over a dozen suspects had been taken into custody
in Lahore in connection with the attack on two Ahemdi mosques.
"We launched a crackdown late on Friday night and
arrested over a dozen suspects," he told a news agency.
Police said they gleaned positive clues about the
network of the attackers from the information provided by
At least 80 people were killed in the coordinated attacks
on the Ahmedi mosques at Model Town and the heavily-congested
area of Garhi Shahu areas of Lahore. Over 100 others were
Among the dead were former judge Munir Shiekh, Lt Gen
(retired) Naseer Ahmed and a senior government official.
Police said Muavia and Mohammad came to the Model
Town mosque on a motorcycle.
The motorcycle was rigged with an explosive device,
which they set off before storming the mosque.
At least three other terrorists targeted the mosque
in Ghari Shahu.
They too came to the mosque on a motorcycle fitted with
an explosive device which they detonated as they entered the
These three attackers blew themselves up when they
were cornered by police.
The body parts of the attackers were sent to a
laboratory for forensic examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!