Turkey to host international meetings on Afghanistan
Istanbul: Turkey hosts a meeting of Afghanistan`s neighbours next week to seek a common approach to the conflict that could centre on gathering international support for negotiating some kind of peace with the Taliban.
The regional meeting in Istanbul on Tuesday will pave the way for an international conference in London on January 28 that may set a timetable for transferring responsibility for some areas to Afghan control.
Muslim Turkey is also hosting a meeting of the presidents of Afghanistan and Pakistan on Monday, and will bring together intelligence and military officials from the two countries with a history of deep mutual mistrust.
A senior Pakistani official with knowledge of the diplomacy involving multiple governments said initiatives were underway to begin negotiations with some Taliban and this was likely to surface during the meetings in Istanbul and London.
"The Turks are playing a behind-the-scenes roll patching up relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan," the official said. "There`s a lot happening behind the scenes that people don`t know about."
Turkey, a NATO member, has a special relationship with both Afghanistan and Pakistan that can be traced back to the Ottoman Empire`s ties to South and Central Asia, and was using its influence to bring an end to the conflict with the Taliban.
"The Turks are among those working on negotiations with the Taliban -- not all the Taliban, it`s being selectively done."
The Afghans believe Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence service covertly supports Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar, and allows the insurgency to be directed from Pakistani soil.
Pakistan`s military suspect Afghan intelligence of working with old rival India to cause trouble on its western border, and support separatists in the Pakistani province of Baluchistan.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates on Thursday urged Pakistan to begin hunting down Afghan Taliban on the border.
Ahmed Rashid, a respected Pakistani journalist and author who is often consulted by Western policymakers, said Karzai would use the Istanbul and London meetings to pitch for support for negotiations to end the Taliban insurgency.
"The key issue at the London conference and the meetings leading up to it will be whether neighbouring countries will support dialogue with the Taliban, which Karzai will advocate."
"Karzai can be expected to set out reasons for a tactical dialogue and for a strategic dialogue with the Taliban leadership."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27