US suspends NATO supply route talks with Pak
London: The US has temporarily pulled out of talks with Pakistan over re-opening vital supply routes to the NATO-led forces in Afghanistan.
"The decision was reached to bring the team home for a short period of time," BBC News quoted Pentagon spokesman George Little, as saying.
Pakistan however insisted that the talks had not broken down and they were "still on".
Pakistan had shut the NATO supply routes in November last year after a NATO air strike near the Afghan-Pakistani border killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. Pakistan has demanded an apology by the U.S. for the deadly sir strike as a pre-condition to reopen the routes.
Part of the U.S. team left Islamabad over the weekend, and the rest will return to the U.S. shortly, Little said.
Pakistan`s demand for 5,000 dollars for each truck has also been a sticking point.
Pakistan foreign office spokesman Moazzam Khan said the talks were still on and it was "wrong to say that they have broken down".
Khan said some members of the U.S. team were involved in the technical aspects of the negotiations and they have been called back after they had given their input.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days