Argentina launches research rocket
Buenos Aires: Argentina has successfully launched a research rocket as part of its space programme, the defence ministry said.
The rocket was "launched through the joint efforts of the air force, the state-owned military manufacturing company, universities and companies related to the field", Defence Minister Agustin Rossi said Friday.
The launch took place Wednesday in the city of Chamical, in La Rioja province, 880 km northwest of the capital, Xinhua reported.
"This launch is another step toward the recovery of scientific-technological capabilities for defence," Rossi said.
Describing the launch as "a milestone", the minister said: "We have recovered a capability that is of the utmost importance to us."
Argentina`s Air Force said the rocket is expected to reach a maximum speed of 3,978 km per hour "until it runs out of fuel", then continue its non-propelled flight, and will later separate from its payload when it reaches an altitude of 49,000 metres.
Argentina has launched three rockets in five years after a 30-year suspension of research and development, according to Rossi.
The first one was launched in 2009 from Serrezuela, province of Cordoba, and the second one was launched in 2011, also in Chamical.
Argentina is expected to launch a Gradicom III rocket in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport