Britain`s first astronaut to go on space mission in 2015
London: Britain`s first "official" astronaut, 41-year-old Major Tim Peake, has been selected to go on a five-month mission to the International Space Station in 2015, a media report said Sunday.
Peake, a former army helicopter pilot, graduated as a European Space Agency astronaut more than two years ago and has been waiting for a space mission since then, the Guardian daily said.
However, Peake has been assigned a lengthy stay in orbit in 2015.
He will take off on a Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan in November 2015, and will take part in spacewalks and other complex scientific activities.
British space officials are, however, yet to reveal any information about Peake`s forthcoming mission, the daily said.
Peake, who is married and has two sons, is considered to be Britain`s first official astronaut because British citizens who have flown to space in the past have either been privately funded for their missions or have made the space journey as citizens of other countries.
Helen Sharman flew on a Russian rocket in 1991, and Nick Foale and Piers Sellers have both flown on the US space shuttle, after taking American citizenship.
Peake was picked to be one of six ESA astronauts who were selected, in 2009, from several thousand candidates.
During their 14-month training programme, the six travelled to NASA`s astronaut base in Houston, the Russian astronaut training centre in Star City outside Moscow, Tsukuba Space Centre in Japan, and spent two weeks on a survival course in Sardinia.
Peake completed his training in November 2010 and has been waiting to be assigned a spaceflight.
However, he has denied that the wait was causing problems.
"No, it doesn`t get frustrating at all - there`s just so much going on, so much diversity, and there`s brilliant training all along the way," he told BBC.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know