Curiosity suffers glitch, halts operations on Red Planet
Zee Media Bureau
Pasadena, California: NASA’s Mars rover, Curiosity has suffered a glitch on November 17, halting all roving and science observations for a few days on the Red Planet.
The US space agency said the glitch – a soft short or a voltage fluctuation, was detected by the engineers on Sunday between the chassis and the 32-volt power bus that distributes electricity to systems throughout the rover. The voltage level on the robotic rover had been about 11 volts since its landing on August 5, 2012, but now is holding at 4 volts.
According to Mars Science Laboratory Project Manager Jim Erickson at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, “The vehicle is safe and stable, fully capable of operating in its present condition, but we are taking the precaution of investigating what may be a soft short.”
According to NASA, a “soft short” is a leak through something that’s partially conductive of electricity, rather than a “hard short” that’s caused by one wire contacting another.
Engineers are working on the problems and hope to resume the science observations on the Red Planet as early as this weekend.
However, this is not the first time that a soft short was experienced by Curiosity. The rover experienced a similar glitch on its landing day, which was related to the “explosive-release devices used for deployments.”
NASA’s engineers will now check all the systems for potential root causes during the next few days. “Analysis so far has determined that the change appeared intermittently three times during the hours before it became persistent”, said NASA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali